Friday, September 17, 2010

yo quiero da

Today I found myself in a situation where i felt like a young child just learning how to talk.I was at a local produce junction run primarily by Hispanic individuals, thinking to myself that it would be the perfect place to practice conversing in Spanish. Wrong wrong wrong  it was instead the perfect place for me to turn into a toddler.
 It was my turn to get my produce and the woman behind the counter asked me the dreaded question "how can I help you"? Feeling rather daring I begin my reply in Spanish only to stumble and  trip over my own tongue and/or even worse my brain. How do you say" I want" again? How do you say lime in Spanish ? and lemon?
Everything that I thought I knew all the simple....SIMPLE words that I knew went flying out of my head and I felt how my son must have when he was a toddler knowing what he wanted but just  not possessing the vocabulary to express his needs, and so all he could do was hold out his chubby little hands point and say"some"?That's precisely how I felt and more or less in reality what I actually ended up doing.
Now though after relaying my relapse into childhood to my husband I know (until I actually have to use it again)how to ask for something that I need even really fancy like too.
Me ....OK so I've gone completely blank again. I shall get it I will I will I will!!!!!
But for now yo quiero will suffice.

No comments:

Post a Comment